We all know that the holiday season brings extra snacking, which can add extra pounds if we aren’t careful. Now’s the time to plan ahead before all the bottles are recycled, the noisemakers thrown away and the confetti swept up off the floor. If you need to lose weight, then plan to start an weight loss resolution routine. We know that we always have good intentions at the start of each new year, but in a few short weeks those promises fall to the wayside. This happens because we have set impractical pledges that are fated to fail.
Lucky for us, Pirate Brands’ (makers of all-natural snacks including the iconic Pirate’s Booty), resident registered dietician, Emily Anschlowar, MS, RD is here to offer tips on how to set realistic goals for 2010.:
· Be Specific. Don’t just say, “I want to lose weight.” Instead, vow to lose two pounds per week for one year by exercising three to four times weekly and eating sweets in moderation.
· Get Serious. If you’re not serious about losing weight and getting healthy, it is most likely you won’t achieve your goals, which can lead to feelings of shame and guilt.
· Take Stock. Look through your fridge and pantry and throw out or donate unopened packages of foods that are high in saturated fat, trans fat and calories or highly processed.
· Create a plan. Plan out your meals in advance and create a weekly shopping list to keep you on track in the grocery store. Also, develop a work out calendar, so you can pump yourself up the days you need to hit the elliptical machine.
* Change Your Habits. Select foods that are naturally high in fiber and whole grains. Make sure to hit all the food groups and practice portion control.
* Water it Down. Water is great for weight-loss because it often replaces high-calorie drinks like soft drinks and juices packed with sugar. Sticking to the “8 by 8″ (eight 8-ounce glasses of water by 8:00 p.m. daily) is a tried and true method to stay hydrated.
· Don’t Deprive. Your weight loss regimen should not feel like a punishment. Instead of depriving yourself, allow yourself to splurge on foods you love in moderation. For example, eat half of a chocolate bar once per week.
· Keep Snacking. Noshing on whole grain snacks that are low in sugar will keep your energy up for that big meeting in between breakfast and lunch. Snacking will also keep you from overindulging at mealtimes.
Pirate Brands snacks are deliciously baked, low in fat, gluten and trans-fat free as well as made from all-natural, wholesome ingredients.
Pirate’s Booty is made from puffed rice and corn, only 130 calories per servings and comes in great flavors like Aged White Cheddar, Barbeque, Veggie, Sea Salt & Vinegar and New York Pizza.
Other great-tasting snacks include Smart Puffs, all-natural baked corn puffs made with real Wisconsin cheddar and Original Tings, all-natural vegan crunchy corn sticks.
We hope you’ll be inspired to live a little healthier and have fun while doing it! Let’s weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen!
Pirate Brands, a leader and manufacturer of all-natural snacks, is located in Sea Cliff, NY and has been creating healthier treasures since 1987. The company was founded on the belief that you shouldn’t have to “snackrifice” taste and fun for health. Pirate Brands produces deliciously baked, all-natural snacks including Pirate’s Booty, Smart Puffs and Original Tings. Pirate Brands’ snacks are free from fryers, trans fats and ingredients you can’t pronounce, Arrrrrr. Products are sold in the US. For more information visit: www.piratebrands.com